Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Haruki Murakami 2nd Encounter: Norwegian Wood

I was starting to read The Catcher In The Rye when I suddenly didn't feel like it. It's maybe the font, I don't know, the first few lines just wasn't appealing to me. So, out of nowhere I decided to change tack and read Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood instead. I wasn't sure if it's a good idea because I really had it enough with twisted endings, but I took the risk and read it anyway.

http://www.exorcising-ghosts.co.uk/norwegianwood.html
To my surprise, I quite enjoyed it. I obiviously like it much more than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I'm not sure if it's the book or it's me getting used to Murakami's style. The story is not as bizzare as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle though the issue Norwegian Wood brings is a lot more gloomy. The story is rooted to suicidal. Uggh that's clearly not my most favorite topic in the whole world. As much as I never like sad-grim-gloomy-depressing story, it fascinated me so much I couldn't help but to keep turning the pages until the very last one.

How come a happy-ending-fairytales number one fan like me ended up liking such story? Well, maybe because its love story. Or maybe Murakami is really starting to get to me. Either way, it doesn't matter.

I like Toru Watanabe, I like his quite-stolid self, the way he talks, his point of view. But I don't like the troubled-depresssing-complicated Naoko. For the love of God, she's just so complex. On the contrary, I really like the blunt and lively Midori Kobayashi. She's like a gulp of fresh air, a cheering spark in this very grim story. I even laughed a few times reading her conversations with Toru. And trust me, laughing while reading Murakami's book is a rarity.

I was beginning to really like this book but then I reminded myself that this is Murakami after all. I have to prepare myself for the most twisted-puzzling ending. And it was the right decision. Ah, it's really too bad because it could've been a really beautiful story if only it ended a lil differently.

Anyway, Norwegian Wood did mention about The Catcher In The Rye once, so my interest in reading that book is somehow coming back. You just wait for me, Holden Caulfield!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Norwegian Wood is the only good one Haruki Murakami ever wrote. Rest of his work just killing trees and wasting people's time. And in the very recent one 1Q84, he insulted all those masters like George Owell, Kafka and Chekhov by comparing himself to them.

Nona Lolita Theobroma said...

I've only read two of Murakami's books (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood) so there's not much that I can say.

And I've never heard of those guys before (Owell, Kafka, Chekhov) due to my lack of experience with books :P